We’re fast-approaching 1st of July, which means for many the start of Dry July – a 31 day detox from alcohol, or if you’re doing Drier July just cutting back on your usual alcohol consumpton. But, just because you’re taking a break doesn’t mean you need to become a recluse and shut yourself off from socialising! Thankfully, there are heaps of delicious alcohol-free mocktail recipes just as good as the real deal (if not better!). Why not get your Dry July friends together for a mocktail night?
RELATED: Alcohol & Your Skin
1. Frozen Apple Virgin Margarita
- Salt, to serve
- 1 lime, halved
- 2 cups (500ml) Ashton Valley Fresh Sparkling Apple Juice
- 1 cup (250ml) tequila (optional, see tip)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime rind
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 cups ice cubes
- 4 slices green apple
- Lime zest, to serve
Place salt on a plate. Run the cut side of the lime around the rims of serving glasses. Dip in the salt to coat.
Place sparkling apple juice, tequila, if using, lime rind, lime juice and ice in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour evenly among the glasses.
Decorate with apple slices and lime zest.
2. Virgin Pina Colada
- 1 bag frozen pineapple chunks
- 4 large scoops of ice cream (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- Pineapple wedge, for serving
- Maraschino cherry, for serving
In a blender, blend together frozen pineapple, ice cream, coconut milk, and pineapple juice.
Divide between glasses and garnish with a pineapple wedge and maraschino cherry.
3. Non-Alcoholic Cranberry Sangria
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1/4 pineapple, peeled, thinly sliced, cut into wedges
- 1/2 small orange, thinly sliced, cut into wedges
- 1 passionfruit, quartered
- 500ml (2 cups) cranberry juice
- 500ml (2 cups) ginger beer
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- Pomegranate seeds, to serve
Divide the ice cubes among 4 large serving glasses. Top with the pineapple, orange and passionfruit.
Divide the cranberry juice and ginger beer among the glasses. Top with the mint leaves and pomegranate seeds
4. Non-Alcoholic Espresso Martini
- 50ml Seedlip Spice 94
- 50ml Nespresso coffee pods
- 15ml sugar syrup
- Handful of ice cubes
Pour ingredients into a cocktail shaker along with a handful of ice
Shake until the outside of shaker feels cold
Serve and garnish with three coffee beans (optional)
5. Alcohol-Free Passionfruit Martini
- 3 passion fruits, halved
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 egg white
- 100ml alcohol-free spirit
- 2 tsp sugar syrup
- Handful of ice
- Sparkling grape juice, to serve
Scoop the flesh from four of the passion fruit halves into a cocktail shaker.
Add the lemon juice, egg white, spirit and syrup and shake vigorously until frothy.
Add the ice, then shake again until the outside of the shaker feels cold. Double strain into martini glasses (see tip below).
Top up the martinis with the grape juice and garnish with the remaining passion fruit halves.
Via BBC Good Food
Do you have any yummy mocktail recipes? We’d love you to share!